Students and teachers can start discussion threads, like, and comment on discussions. Private messages can also be sent between teachers and students. Teachers can feature posts on the Activity Feed tab.
Discussions for each concept are located in the discussions tab, at the bottom of the reading material of each concept page, and on the Activity Feed tab.
To add a new Discussion:
- Click the "Create New Post" button.
- Add a post title and text in the content boxes.
- Click the "Create" button.
Posts can be enhanced by adding photos, videos and links. Select the Insert/edit link icon in the formatting bar to add an external web source to your post. You may link to, or directly embed, videos into your post by selecting the Insert/edit video icon in the formatting bar. The Insert/edit link button is represented by a chain icon, while the Insert/edit video button is represented by the film icon.
Instructors are able to schedule when their discussions are posted, and choose who sees their post. If you want to send a message to a specific student or group, simply use the dropdown menus and select the group and/or student name.
Editing group teachers can also disable discussion posts from being made or seen in a course.
To disable discussions on concepts:
- Click the "Edit Course Content" button from the course catalog.
You will be brought to the course outline.
- Expand a set to see the concepts.
- Click the "Discussions" button to enable or disable the discussions tab for this concept. The "Live" button can be toggled on and off to hide content from students.
To feature a discussion:
Teachers may feature certain posts or comments, which will then appear on the carousel at the top of the Activity Feed tab.
Go to the desired discussion post or comment and click the link located on the right of the post or comment that says "Feature this post" or "Feature this comment."
- A panel will expand with feature options. Select the "Feature this Post" checkbox.
- If you want to overwrite the original title or post area, fill out the teacher title and post fields.
- Select the feature dates. If no start date is selected, the content will be featured immediately. If no end date is selected, the content will remain featured until the checkbox is manually updated.
- Select "Revert to Original Post Image" checkbox if you want to feature the original post image, or click the "Browse" button to feature a different image.
- Click "Save." A note below the item will indicate that the post or comment is marked as featured.
To remove a featured item, unselect the "Feature this Post" checkbox mentioned in Step 1.
Featured posts should not contain video
You can click on a student's name on a discussion post to visit their "My Activity Page." This page displays all their contributions to course discussions.